Monday, February 25, 2008

First things first

I recently realized that I should start writing down some of the things that I encounter everyday before I start forgetting my experiences. I hope that some of you will enjoy reading my thoughts from time to time. Hopefully they will shed some light on where I am at in my journey. One of my plans in life is to write a book. Maybe this will give me the outlet to practice my writing over the next few years.

We went to St. Martin this past weekend for vacation. I don't think I fully realize how blessed we are to be able to take a weekend trip to a place like that. I am sure I will understand it more once I am gone from Saba and in the next phase of medicine. I think that is how most things are in life. I know that most of my life I tell myself I should really be enjoying the moment I am in because it is normally after that moment is past that I realize how special it was. I think there is something about us that either doesn't want to leave the past or longs for the future but fails to appreciate the current place we find ourselves. I often think it is America that has made me this way. The sense of never being satisfied and always looking for something better. I think this is as much of a curse as anything else we can encounter in life. I think being in medical school lets me encounter the people that struggle with this the most. It seems like everyone is always either living in their past life about how wonderful they were before they got here, or living in the future and designing their yacht before we get out of basic sciences. Maybe this is the very essence of what keeps people going. I have to think this isn't the way we are suppose to live.

So, in short, regardless of where you find yourself in life, enjoy it. Even if its pain and suffering. I find myself daydreaming about the day when I am done with studying. The day when we are back closer to family and friends. The day when we can have kids and a normal life again. But the funny thing is, our days on Saba have been some of the best of my life. Yet for some reason, I keep wishing them away.

5 comments:

Life I Cho' said...

I'm glad to see that somebody else has a blog too...I hope this one is updated more often than the one I have.

Unknown said...

Leebo I think you are very correct about far to many people not enjoying or appreciating where they are in life. I know I'm as guilty as anyone of this and I try so hard to avoid it. Kudos to you for having the nerve/courage to vent about it and I'll be sure and keep up.

PS
Sounds like you got more rest than I did. I was in Louisville all weekend for Marcus' bachelor party but I enjoyed "that moment I was in." LOL

Chad

Cross-Eyed Blogger said...

kerouac
Lee, thanks for posting my blog. I'd be curious to see what you think of some of my takes of the Bible. I've always thought we were a bit of kindred spirits on our point of view. Also, if you'd like to see John's famous Canaan shoes look at the entry dated February 16th. Those are his lucky shoes and he's still wearing them.

The Stevens said...

Great post Lee, I know God has blessed our lives tremendously but I have been very hesitant in wanting to move forward with this new work, very easy to stay in your old spot, but I guess God can not do his Best unless your willing to press forward!!!!

Nicole said...

Lee,

You are correct in all your comments. However, most of us continue with the American attitude. We want what we can't yet have or long for the past. Instead, we all should enjoy each day God gives us. I feel your pain about studying (but I know that yours is much worse than mine was). Keep your head up, nothing lasts forever. In no time, you will be back in the states closer to family and friends while completing your residency.

Nicole Brinkley