Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Names

Growing up I always wondered why I was called Lee. I always remember on the first day of class when Steven Bouldin would be called and I would raise my hand. I can remember dreading that moment. People would turn around and stare at me like I was some circus freak. It's not that Steven is some off the wall name but there would always be conversations that followed on why I went by Lee. Most people would think that my middle name must be Lee. I would then have to explain that this was not the case either. My middle name is actually Leander. I'll take the next few lines to explain to everyone reading here so that I can clear this up for you all.

My parents decided to name me after both of my grandfathers. My maternal grandfather's name was Billy Stevens Moore. My paternal grandfather's name is Leander Charles Bouldin. From these two names was created Steven Leander Bouldin. I know some of you will still be puzzled at how one grandfather lost an S in translation but that is for another time. Just think of the looks I would have gotten had I been named Stevens Leander Bouldin. I guess my parents didn't want to put Leander solely in the ownership of Steven. Now as to how I became Lee, I know they really wanted a girl so I guess it was the best of both worlds. I think I can count on 1 hand the number of males named Lee I have met in my life. I say all of this to say that there is alot that goes into a name. The majority of parents spend countless hours pondering what their child will be named. I often wonder if what you name someone actually has a lasting impact on who they become.

Lets take my name for instance:

Steven- literally means crown

Leander- literally means lion-like

Bouldin- I looked this name up online for its origin and the name comes from English and German backgrounds. The name means- " I stand for truth"


I can't help but see thy symbolism in my name as it correlates to my views on religion and life. I know that my parents didn't go into this much detail when mapping out what I would be called. I just find it interesting as to how it applies to me.

There is another name I want to bring to your attention. Longar Longar plays basketball for Oklahoma right now. The fact that he has the same first and last name made me laugh out loud when I read his name today. At least I wasn't named Steven Stevens. The other interesting fact is that he is 6'10". He was destined to be tall.

I say all of this to make a simple point. The name that each of us carries has a very special meaning. You are not only bearing it for yourself but also for everyone else who carries that name. Whether it be the first, middle, or last, someone else always shares at least one of those with you. I hope that my actions in life will do more to build up the names of Steven, Leander, and Bouldin than tarnish them. I guess I'll also help the biological Lees of the world while I'm at it.

Lee

5 comments:

Cross-Eyed Blogger said...

Eddy means going counter the current. So, yes, I think our names may contribute to who we are.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that we did actually put thought into your name. We wanted you to be named after both grandfathers and I will never forget the smile on their faces when we told them. As far as wanting a girl I have to admit that after having 3 brothers, 2 sons and no sisters that I thought a girl would be different. As soon as you were born I was so thrilled that I never thought of a girl. You have always been such a joy to us and you have definitely brought much excitement into our lives. I hope that when you and Beth have your first child that you will remember all the problems that your name caused you and call them their first name.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Lee, I was named Sarah Anne by my parents but was never called that. I have always been Sally and this causes untold difficulty at airports, at school, banks etc. By the way, my mother's name was also Sarah and she was called Sadie.1