Thursday, February 28, 2008

The sky is falling..... No wait, thats just the dollar

It's tough going to a school where over half of the students are Canadian. I remember when I was a child that if I ever found a Canadian quarter it was about as good as monopoly money. Somehow they would work their way from Canada all the way to Tennessee and end up being handed to me as change for my baseball cards that I would so often purchase. I normally wouldn't realize that I had been shafted until I had walked to the Coke machine later in the day. It was standing in front of that machine with my mouth watering that I would find out that what I assumed was a U.S. Mint quarter had been replaced with yet another crazy Canadian coin. I must have had sucker written on my forehead because I this scene happened to me time and time again.

Now lets flash forward 15 years. Although the entire world still takes my US dollar, it is becoming worth less and less every day. I have lately started looking back and regretting all the bad thoughts I had against our northern neighbors growing up each time I was denied a Coca-cola Classic because I had been tricked yet again by the Canadian quarter. In retrospect I should have saved all of those coins. I would have turned a 100% profit in a 15 year period. Thats not too bad with todays current market. I will learn from this mistake though. I am currently looking forward to the next time I return to Mexico. I will collect every peso that I can find. I will not miss out on another opportunity to double my money from one of my neighboring countries. So, for all the Canadians that read this, enjoy your time on top of the dollar. My suggestion is that you start collecting US quarters. Don't make the same mistake as I did and lose out on a nice profit when things turn back to the days of Parker Bros.

1 comment:

Cross-Eyed Blogger said...

Lee, I laughed out loud. Growing up in Michigan, I always had a pocketful of Canadian coins. (Did you know they call their coin dollar there a loon or loonie -- strangely appropriate.) Even with Canada just across the lake, our Coke machines still didn't take their money.