Tuesday, February 26, 2008

On the Clock

My entry today will be brief. I find myself on the clock once again. My next set of exams are 2 weeks from today. This leaves me little time to procrastinate. My professors keep telling me that the greatest thing about medicine is that it is open book. You always have countless resources at your fingertips to help diagnose and treat patients. I am still trying to convince them that our block exams should be the same way. Sometimes I feel like I am trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant. The information is endless and yet somehow I keep gulping and taking in as much as possible to survive.

On a side note, over the weekend I read a book unrelated to medicine. It was really refreshing. The book is called The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Oprah recommended it so I thought it must be good. I think that Oprah could recommend drinking sodas to lose weight and people would do it. Some of you may know him by another book which is now also a movie called No Country for Old Men. I have now read both books. After reading two of his books I am still not sure I can grasp the way he writes. I feel like the story is going nowhere for the first 2/3 of the book but at the end I always look back and feel like I am surprised at how I strangely enjoyed it. Maybe that is his intention with his writing style.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Have you read 'Blood Meridian'?